HOW TO INSTALL HP PRINTER IN UBUNTU
“Are you looking for a simple and easy guide to install your HP printer in Ubuntu?” If yes, scroll down this page to know the installation process in detail.
Initially, ensure the following:
- The HP printer is unpacked and ready for installation.
- The printer is turned on.
- The printer and your Ubuntu computer are connected to the same network.
- Your Ubuntu computer meets the system requirements of the printer.
- HP’s Linux Imaging and Printing software (HPLIP) is downloaded.
*Note: If you wish to use the USB connection, connect the printer directly to the computer using the USB cable and then begin the installation process.
Step-by-step instructions to install the HP printer in Ubuntu
Step 1: Updating Ubuntu
As the first step of installing the HP printer in Ubuntu, check and update your computer OS. Following instructions explain the same.
- Open the Terminal application.
- Run the “sudo apt update” command to update your Ubuntu OS.
- If you wish to upgrade your computer OS, then run the sudo apt upgrade command in the Terminal window, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 2: Installing the HPLIP software
You can either run the installation file or use the Terminal window to install the HPLIP software on your Ubuntu computer.
Method 1: Using Terminal
- Type the sudo apt-get install hplip-gui command to begin the software installation process.
- Tap Enter.
- Install the printer driver by following the rest of the instructions.
Method 3: Running the printer file
- Open the System screen on your Ubuntu computer.
- Click Welcome > Getting Started > Drivers > Printers.
- Locate and double-click on the downloaded HPLIP-Toolbox file.
- Now, the screen named “HP Device Manager- No Installed HP Devices Found” will open.
- Click the Setup Device button.
- Now, a screen asking you to select the connection type option will open.
- Select the Connection Type you wish to use by clicking the radio button beside it.
- Now, the installer file will try to detect the printer connected to your computer and display its name on the screen named “Select From Discovered Devices.”
- Select the connected HP printer and click Next.
- If prompted, enter your printer details such as name, description, location, PPD file, etc., in the given fields.
- Click Add Print and follow the on-screen instructions to install the HP printer in Ubuntu.
- After installing the printer successfully on your computer, print a test page to check whether the installation process is done correctly.
If you need to know more about how to install the HP printer in Ubuntu, contact our technical experts by clicking the Call button provided on this page.