Color or Black ink not printing
Your printer is working properly, but the printed output is missing black or color ink or the printed page is blank or has a small amount ink.
Step 1 : Make use of an authenticated HP Ink cartridges
Ensure that you use an authenticated HP ink or toner supplies. The quality or reliability cannot be guaranteed for non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use an authenticated HP cartridge, the procedure which is listed below might not resolve an issue.
Navigate to HP Sure Supply to check the ink or toner cartridge compatibility or purchase replacement cartridge and other supplies.
- Go to HP Sure Supply.
- If it is urged, choose your country or region.
- Make use of the guides to order new supplies or check the cartridge compatibility with the printer.
You can also purchase an authenticated cartridge and supplies from other retailers.If you come across the same issue, and you are using authenticated ink cartridges, go to the next step.
Step 2 : Ratify the estimated ink levels
Your print quality may be affected by low ink levels. Check the estimated ink levels to confirm if any ink cartridge is critically low or empty.
From the printer’s control panel, press the Ink icon to display the present estimated ink levels.
Step 3 : Replace any low or empty ink cartridge
Replace any low or empty ink cartridges with the new ink cartridges, and then print a test document. If the ink cartridges display full ink levels, go to the next step.
- Turn on the printer.
- Confirm that you replace the printer with plain white paper.
- Grasp the handles on either side of the paper, and then open the ink cartridge access door until it clicks into the place.
- The carriage might move to the center of the printer.
- Grasp until the carriage is inactive and hushed before you commence.
- To extricate the ink cartridge, open the lid on the ink cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.
- Pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.
- Take out the new ink cartridge from its package. Be cautious to only touch black plastic on the ink cartridge.
- Unwrap the plastic tape from the ink cartridge.
- Clasp the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzle towards the printer, then slide the ink cartridge forward into the slot.
- Lock the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.
- Iterate the previous steps to install the other cartridge, if required.
- Lock the ink cartridge access door.
- Once you are done with the installation of the new ink cartridge, the printer automatically prints an alignment page.
- Halt for the alignment page to fully discharge from your printer.
- Unlock the scanner lid.
- Mount the alignment page with the print side downward on the scanner glass. Position it according to the guides around the glass.
- Lock the scanner lid, and then choose Ok.
- Your printer prints an alignment page.
If you still come across the print quality issue after replacing any empty ink cartridge, go to the next step.
Step 4 : Wipe the ink cartridges
Employ an automatic tool to clean the ink cartridges from the printer’s control panel, and then evaluate the results.
- Ensure that you mount the input tray with white paper.
- On the printer’s control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then select Setup.
- Select Tools, and then click on Clean cartridge option.
- Your printer prints a Print Quality Diagnostic report.
- Determine the print quality on the Print quality Diagnostic report.
- If the print quality is acceptable, click No. You can stop with troubleshooting steps.
- If the print quality is not acceptable, click on Yes option when it is instructed to perform the next level of cleaning.
Step 5 : Find the problem ink cartridge
Determine the Print Quality Diagnostic report you printed in the procedure to clean the ink cartridges. Check the text and Color blocks on the sample page to find any defective ink cartridge.
- If you find any issues with the black text on the page, replace the black ink cartridge.
- In case you detect any troubles with the colored blocks on the page, substitute the tri-color ink cartridge.
Step 6 : Check the ink cartridge warranty status
If you have a faulty cartridge or printhead, it might be under warranty. Check the warranty on the ink or toner supplies, and then determine the limited warranty information for the supplies.
Step 7 : Replace the problem ink cartridge with the new ink cartridge
Substitute the faulty ink cartridge with a new authenticated ink cartridge.
- Switch on the printer.
- Make sure that you place the printer with plain white paper.
- Clutch the handles on either side of the printer, and then open the ink cartridge access door until it clicks into the proper position.
- The carriage moves to the center of your printer.
- Wait until the carriage is idle and noiseless before you begin.
- To release the cartridge, open the lid on the ink cartridge slot, then push the lid back until it stops.
- Take out the ink cartridge from the slot.
- Take away the new ink cartridge from its package. Be careful to only touch the black plastic on the ink cartridge.
- Remove the plastic tape from the ink cartridge.
- Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzle towards the printer, then slide the ink cartridge forward into the slot.
- Shut the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.
- Repeat the previous steps to set up the other ink cartridge, if it is urged.
- Close the ink cartridge access door.
- Halt for the alignment page to fully remove from your printer.
- Raise the scanner lid.
- Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the guides around the glass.
- Shut down the scanner lid, and then choose Ok.
- The printer aligns the ink cartridges.
- If the issue still exists, service the printer.
123-hp.net is an independent service provider and the mention of brands, names, images and trademarks are purely for reference. We do not claim ownership of them unless stated. We aim to provide solution to resolve HP printer related issues.